Art 51L MuseumViewing Lab –Instructions
Art 51L is an independent study lab course designed to complement and enhance the art class in which you are concurrently enrolled. All course work is done on your own, and your work is submitted online on CANVAS. It is required for one semester for all art students. Note: Enroll in one section of Art 51L only, even if you take two or more art classes. This lab is .5 units of credit. Grading is Pass/No-Pass. This course must be successfully completed once with a Pass grade. Read and follow directions carefully in order to receive credit!
CANVAS is an online program where the Art 51L course materials are located. . Once you have enrolled in the course you will have access to the Art 51L CANVAS page, but it may take up to 24 hours after you register before your CANVAS account is activated.
LINK TO CANVAS: https://cabrillo.instructure.com/login/ldap. Use your regular Cabrillo login to log in to CANVAS.
MAKE SURE THAT YOU KEEP A COPY OF YOUR ALL REPORT ENTRIES. The easiest way to do this is to copy the questions from the CANVAS “Questions for Reports” page (in “Modules”) into a Word, Pages, or other doc, fill the answers in, and save them to your computer or other digital storage device.
When you are ready, cut and paste each report into the online report form answer areas on the ”Quizzes” page.
WHAT YOU MUST DO!
View 6 different museum exhibitions and write reports on each exhibition following the directions.
• Choose a single museum exhibition for each report
• Limit 2 exhibitions per museum
• Exhibition Viewings should always be done in person during the semester you are enrolled.
• Turn in completed Art 51L reports through CANVAS by 11:59pm on Friday, May 13th.
1. Museums: Contemporary, Historical, Anthropological, Scientific: limit 2 exhibits per museum
2. Gather information on the exhibition from one of the following sources:
a) Docent led tours for each exhibit – A docent is someone that leads a scheduled tour of an exhibition
b) Exhibition wall text and statements – All museum exhibitions will have an introductory statement
c) Audio tour – Audio tours are often available for larger exhibitions, not always included in the entry fee
5. Museums and approved viewing spaces included on Suggested ART 51L Art Viewing Spaces list
6. Out-of-town museums – contact instructor if you are not sure if it qualifies
7. Cabrillo Gallery: you may use all 3 exhibitions during the semester
What Doesn’t Work?
1. Incomplete forms – fill the form out completely in order to receive full credit
2. NO websites or online museums
3. Although you may do Museum viewings with another student, you may not write your reports with another student. All work must be your own.
Complete instructions and all class materials may be found on CANVAS
Questions? Check out the ART 51L – FAQ page on CANVAS or contact us directly. We’re happy to help!
If you have any questions concerning your Art 51L Gallery Viewing Lab, please contact us:
Room 1002, Library Building 1000
Telephone: 831.479.6308, Email Beverly Rayner or for general questions Email the Cabrillo Gallery
Gallery Hours: Monday - Friday: 9 a.m. - 4 p.m., Monday and Tuesday: 7 - 9 p.m.
Santa Cruz Co.
South of Santa Cruz Co.
21250 Stevens Creek Boulevard
Japanese American Museum
535 North Fifth Street
Montalvo Art Center
15400 Montalvo Road
San Jose Institute of Contemporary Art
560 South First Street
The Tech Museum
201 South Market Street
MACLA Center for Latino Arts
Santa Clara County (con't)
San Jose Museum of Art
Bay Area Counties