Student Equity & Success Committee
Why the Committee?
The Student Equity and Success Committee provides direction for the efforts, implementation, and evaluation of the ongoing Student Equity Plan. The Plan is intended to help foster student engagement and guide teaching practices, as well as foster an inclusive and equitable campus environment. The Committee has representatives from each of the related programs who act as area representatives, providing feedback regarding mandates, applicable legislation, and needs.
These programs include:
- Disabled Student Programs and Services (DSPS) provided through Cabrillo’s Accessibility Support Center (ASC)
- Extended Opportunity Programs and Services (EOPS) and Special Services
- Math, Engineering, and Science Achievement (MESA)
- Puente Program
- Student Success and Support Program (SSSP)
- Foster Youth Independence (FYI) program and services
- Veterans’ Center program and services
- California Work Opportunity and Responsibility to Kids (CalWORKs)
- Student Financial Aid Administration
- Board Financial Assistance Program (BFAP)
- Basic Skills Initiative (BSI)
- Leticia Maldonado, Committee Chair, Director of Student Equity & Success
- Kori Calubaquib, Financial Aid Advisor
- Jennifer Cass, Mathematics Instructor
- Joseph Carter, English Department Chair
- Flor Chacon, Veteran Information Center Coordinator
- Lori Chavez, Tutorials Center Coordinator and Instructor
- Terri Daniels, Instructional Procedures Analyst
- Olga Diaz, Program Coordinator for Watsonville Center
- Michelle Donohue, Dean of Student Services
- Jamie Alonzo, Dean of Natural & Applied Sciences
- Hilda Montanez, Personnel Analyst
- Nancy Phillips, Reading Department Chair
- Margery Regalado Rodriguez, Dean of Counseling and Educational Support Services
- Barbara Schultz-Perez, Counselor
- Jim Weckler, Division Dean for Business, English, and Language Arts
- Dejon Weldon, FYI Program Coordinator
- Terrence Willett, Dean of Research, Planning, and Institutional Effectiveness
- Jennifer Wood, Program Coordinator for Student Equity and Success
- Katie Woolsey, English Instructor
- Adela Navarro-Bernabe, English Department Instructor and Puente Project Coordinator
- Michael Mangin, History Instructor
- Eric Grabiel, Learning Communities Center and Basic Skills Coordinator
The Committee meeting minutes are publicly available and updated regularly. Click here to see the archive.
Student Equity Plans
Each year, the Student Equity and Success Committee outlines an Equity Plan. This plan articulates goals for the upcoming year and helps direct the activities that will make Cabrillo College an institution committed to equity. Aspects of the plan include developing new and existing programs and services to better serve the equity needs of students, such as creating internal processes that give more structure to the approval, funding, and assessment of various equity proposals and sponsoring college-wide events and ongoing efforts to make Cabrillo’s plans and services more inclusive for the entire community.
Our Current Student Equity Plan goals:
- Student Equity Coordination and Planning: Formulating and bringing together the Student Equity and Success Committee. Refining and improving transparency and accountability in the project application process. Ensuring there are staff committed to the equity mission and available to students.
- Outreach: South County within-reach coordination, special events days, Spanish language marketing efforts, and programs to better serve AB 540 Dreamer students.
- Instructional Support Activities: Supplementing existing programs in STEM and tutoring, expanding supplemental instruction and services to students with disabilities, and working to expand library hours and reference services.
- Student Services Programs: Enhancing services for Foster Youth and Veterans, supporting ongoing mentorship programs, and increasing counseling services.
- Curriculum and Courses Development and Adaptation: Major and ongoing efforts in developing equity projects in Basic Skills programs and acquiring new ESL assets.
- Direct Student Support: Special funding for Veterans with childcare expenses.
- Research and Evaluation: Expanding the role of the Planning and Research Office (PRO) in designing and assessing equity programs.
- Professional Development: Coordinate professional collaborations on equity projects, convening with student focus groups, improving reading instruction, and organizing campus events with key speakers on equity, social justice, and multicultural education.
Do you need funding in order to pursue the equity mission? The Student Equity and Success Committee will be accepting funding requests for the 2017-2018 year in mid Spring 2017 semester. Please visit this website again for further details.
Other Links for Student Equity & Success Committee