Skip to Site Navigation | Skip to Local Navigation | Skip to Content
campus photostudents studying

Frequently Asked Questions

What can you do for me at Student Health Services (SHS)?

Our no-cost and low-cost services include:

  • treatment for minor injuries and illnesses, and monitoring of some chronic conditions such as high blood pressure
  • personal counseling on a short-term basis
  • wellness workshops and group sessions
  • work-, school-, and job-related physical exams
  • immunizations against tetanus, diphtheria, and pertussis (TDaP); measles, mumps, and rubella (MMR); hepatitis A and B, and influenza (flu)
  • testing for pregnancy, HIV/AIDS, tuberculosis (TB), and other conditions
  • over-the-counter medications, such as tylenol and ibuprofin, and condoms, free of charge
  • emergency birth control
  • referrals to community agencies and help finding appropriate local resources for more serious or chronic issues

What does it cost to be seen at SHS?

Most professional services are covered through your student health fee, (for a detailed list of charges, see Immunization/lab price list). Outside services such as laboratory testing, and x-rays are by referral and are at additional cost. Immunizations, TB tests, and some medicines have additional fees, although we keep your cost as low as possible.

Who can be seen at SHS?

All currently registered students can be seen and treated by the SHS staff. In addition, SHS provides first aid for staff and visitors, and tuberculosis (TB) testing and for Cabrillo employees.

Can my family be seen at SHS?

Because SHS is directly supported by student fees, we can only treat registered students (and some staff and faculty, as mentioned above).

Can I walk-in to see a nurse or counselor?

Walk-ins are welcome Monday-Thursday 8 am - 5 pm, but we strongly advise to make an appointment to reduce waiting time. Walk-ins for TB test only are Mondays at 10 am-12 pm.

Who provides the care at SHS?

Our staff consists of family nurse practitioners (FNPs) and licensed psychological counselors. (See our home page for schedule and appointment information).

Can I get health insurance through the SHS?

Cabrillo students are covered for accidental and athletic injuries that occur on campus or during sanctioned Cabrillo events. There is currently no extended health insurance plan available through the college, though we may have some suggestions for vendors who can provide insurance products at reasonable rates. Please come in and talk to us individually about your situation and needs.

What is the health fee that I pay every semester, and what do I get for it?

Each registered student is assessed an $20 fee for fall and spring semesters, and a $17 fee for summer term as part of their regular registration fees. This fee covers direct medical services received at SHS; accident coverage for campus incidents and events; access to health education materials and events; some OTC medications dispensed at SHS; and health screening programs offered at various times throughout the school year.

What do I do if I need care when SHS is closed?

SHS is open Monday - Thursday 8 am until 5 pm. The clinic is closed Friday thru Sunday.

Since we are closed during most school recesses and holidays, students should be aware of other county resources for ongoing preventive and acute care. We're happy to help students identify community agencies and appropriate local resources for more acute or chronic medical problems. In addition, students should call 911 in case of a medical or mental health emergency when SHS is closed.

  • We encourage all students to identify a primary care provider or clinic for ongoing preventive care and care of chronic illnesses or conditions.


Top of Page


    Was this page helpful?   
Just Report It Ask Cabrillo WebAdvisor Cabrillo Library Cabrillo Bookstore  Canvas icon  Facebook Icon Twitter Icon YouTube

© 2013 Cabrillo Community College District

Campus Safety | Accessibility | Title IX

Main Campus, 6500 Soquel Drive Aptos CA 95003, 831.479.6100