Welcome to Counseling Services.
Our counselors want to assist you with effective academic planning and answer specific kinds of questions. In order to get the most from a counseling appointment, please complete the following steps before scheduling an appointment.
Appointments are a half-hour of scheduled time with a counselor. An appointment is needed for transcript evaluation, education plans, graduation petitions, guaranteed transfer applications, career advising, academic renewal, most cases of academic dismissal, and for most academic planning issues.
Appointments can be scheduled in person or by calling.
Before You Make an Appointment:
1) Submit a Cabrillo College application online for admissions . Within 48 hours you will receive a Cabrillo student ID number. NOTE: You must have an email address to receive your ID number and application confirmation. If you do not have an e-mail address, you can request a free e-mail account through CCCApply.org. You do this by checking a box when creating your CCCApply account.
2) Complete your online orientation. This is a requirement for all incoming students. It takes about one hour.
3) Complete your Math and English assessments at the Cabrillo Assessment Office. Schedules and practice tests are listed at their website.
If you have completed college level math, English, or any other college course work, please have official transcripts sent to Cabrillo College Admissions and Records. These will become part of your official record and help a counselor determine what classes you have already completed.
Admissions and Records
6500 Soquel Drive
Aptos, CA 95003
4) Apply for financial aid before you begin classes. Go to http://www.cabrillo.edu/services/finaid/
5) Read the Q&A (questions and answers) at http://www.cabrillo.edu/services/counseling/faqs.html before making an appointment. Your needed information may be there and save you a visit.
6) Now you may be ready to schedule an appointment with a counselor. You can make a 30 minute appointment in person at the Counseling office, Building 100, Room 113; or in the Career or Transfer Center. You may also schedule an appointment by calling 831.479.6274, 831.479.6385, or for Watsonville, 831.786.4734. You may also drop in M-F from 10 AM to 12 PM or M-Th 1 to 3 PM for a 10 minute "express" interaction.
This is five to ten minutes with a counselor provided on a first come, first served basis. Express Counseling is designed for quick questions.
Some things that can be addressed during "Express" counseling include:
- Clearing a specific prerequisite with documentation
- Petition to Repeat a Class
- Permission to take 19 or more units
- High School Release Signature
- Specific questions relating to a limited topic, e.g. a course equivalency
"Express" Counseling does not include educational plans, graduation petions, most cases of academic dismissal, academic renewal, career advising, transcript evaluation or assistance with TAAs or TAGs.
During most weeks, express counseling is offered daily from 10 - 12 and from 1 - 3 Monday through Thursday, and 10 - 12 on Fridays.
Academic counseling for transfer and career programs. By working with a counselor, students can develop an education plan to reach career or transfer goals. Counselors provide information about the requirements for Cabrillo's certificates and degrees as well as information on the transfer process and requirements. Students intending to transfer can obtain an academic plan that will include admission and general education requirements, as well as courses to best prepare them for their major and the best chance of acceptance at a university.
Career counseling enables students to understand their values, interests and skills and to research a variety of career options. The career planning process also assists students in learning to manage job/life transitions. CG 54 is an excellent choice as the first place to start this process. Information about Career counseling is available at our Career Center in the 100 building or by calling 831.479.6385.
Personal counseling is available on a limited basis through Cabrillo's Student Health Center.Counselors provide students with psychological services to help them with self-exploration as it relates to their college experience and educational goals. Call 831.479.6435.
Classes, short courses and workshops in career planning, study skills, general transfer requirements and other topics as needed. (e.g.CG 1, CG 51, CG 52, CG 54
Campus Map >>
SPRING '13 HOURS:
Mon - Thurs: 8 am - 5:00 pm
Fri: 8 am - 4 pm
SPRING '13 HOURS:
Mon: 8 am - 6 pm
Tues/Wed: 8 am - 5 pm
Thr/Fri: 8 am - 3 pm
(Student Reource Center)
Mon - Thurs: 9am - 6pm
|Counseling Hours||Hours will vary; call for details|
(servicio en español)
|Location:||All counseling services are offered in Aptos and Watsonville.|