STARS First Year Experience (FYE):
Learning Communities Program
Be part of a Learning Community and learn how to be a Successful Student at Cabrillo College!!!
STARS Learning Communities for 2013-2014
The STARS First Year Experience program is designed to give you tools and the support necessary to be a successful student. Here are some of the highlights of the STARS First Year Experience Program:
- Early / Priority Class Registration- convenient block schedule and guaranteed enrollment
- Take English and math courses required for begin a career or major
- Make new friends – take classes together and meet other students and teachers at Cabrillo!
- Summer Bridge Program – 1 to 2-week program geared to jump start your introduction to college
- Introduction to College, College Success and Career Planning courses
- Math Tutoring and Extra Support through Supplemental Instruction
- Activities and STARS Club events (career workshops, club activities, study skills workshops, etc.)
- Guest Speakers and field trips related to STEM and Education careers and educational choices
- First Year Experience Faculty - caring and committed instructors dedicated to student success
Or click here for a PDF document you can print up and mail or fax in.
New applications will be reviewed in April. Programs for 2013-2014 year will start in Summer 2013.
STARS (Students Transitioning in Academics: Reinforcing Success)
The STARS First Year Experience program is designed to prepare you for academic success and to help you in selecting the career path that is right for you. You can join the program if you plan to be a full-time student. Starting a new educational journey at Cabrillo College can be exciting and overwhelming. That is why Cabrillo has created a First Year Experience (FYE) program. The STARS Learning Community links people with support programs that create a path to college success!
Eligibility and How to Join the Program: You must do the following three steps to become part of the STARS First Year Experience Learning Community.
- Compete a Cabrillo College application (you must apply to the Summer 2011 term).
- Take the Math and English college assessment exams: Students will need to place in the following levels to be eligible. Please check each learning community above for specific requirements.
- Math 152, 154 or 254 (limited spots in Math 254)
- English 100 or 255
- Reading 205 or above
- Complete the STARS First Year Experience Program Application.
Priority to enroll in the STARS program is given to students who are interested in
- transferring to a four-year university
- being a full-time student (12 units or more per semester)
- have not attended college full-time within the last three years or have less than 12 attempted units
- want support in the successful transition to Cabrillo during their first year