Skip to Site Navigation | Skip to Local Navigation | Skip to Content
Students collaborating in a computer class

Frequently Asked Questions

Will financial aid help me with CABT classes?

The chances are high that you qualify for one of the many types of financial aid — just note that some financial aid awards are based on whether you are enrolled part time or full time. Speak to one of our financial advisors or visit the Cabrillo financial aid website to get all the info you need.

How challenging are CABT courses?

Because technology is a part of our everyday life, students may tend to overestimate their proficiency in certain skills and sign up for classes that are too difficult. We highly recommend speaking with a counselor or one of our instructors, who are more than happy to help you determine your skill level and place you in the appropriate class. For our open entry courses, don’t forget to attend one of the scheduled orientations during the first two weeks of the semester.

What if I don’t own a computer?

No problem! We have a Computer Technology Center (CTC) available on both the Aptos and Watsonville campuses. Computer and wireless access is free for all Cabrillo students. Learn more about the CTC, including hours, here.

Will taking CABT classes be too much work if I’m also working?

We understand that many CABT students work and support families outside of school. Some of our required courses are open entry courses, which provide opportunities to complete lessons and homework at home and at your own pace.

What kind of jobs can I get with training from CABT?

Our courses teach the specialized technology skills necessary for career growth in today’s job market. These skills are in high demand in fields such as IT, human resources, public administration, marketing, and small business administration. Check out our careers page for more info.

Can I substitute one course for another?

Sometimes, although this is not always possible. The department chair has decision-making authority on course substitutions. So if you’re thinking about substituting a course, reach out to Calais Ingel and she’ll give you guidance.

Can I work both at home and in the lab?

For some classes, yes. We offer open entry courses, which can be mostly completed at home. You will need to purchase the necessary software and textbooks to work at home, but these things are also available in the lab. Please note that, even with open entry courses, you’ll need to be on campus to take tests and turn in certain assignments.

How can I sign up for free tutoring?

Tutoring for CABT courses is available through the Cabrillo Tutoring Center (TC). You must come to the Tutoring Center office to sign up, and sessions will be held at the CTC. Sessions are scheduled weekly and in small groups.

The Tutoring Center office is located in room 1080A (second floor of the library). See the Tutoring Center page, contact, or speak to a CABT staff member for more info.

    Was this page helpful?    
Just Report It Ask Cabrillo WebAdvisor Cabrillo Library Cabrillo Bookstore  Canvas icon  Facebook Icon Twitter Icon YouTube

© 2013 Cabrillo Community College District

Campus Safety | Accessibility | Title IX

Main Campus, 6500 Soquel Drive Aptos CA 95003, 831.479.6100